Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Deck Planters: Then and Now w/pics

Deck Planters - 6-week Update w/pics

Okay! Today I want to do a blog where I compare what my plants and flowers look like now, as compared to when I put them in on Saturday, May 4, a mere 6 1/2 weeks ago. I just love to look at then-and-now pics, especially when the then is so close to the now, and the results are sooo drastic!

Heeman's: The best nursery and strawberry farm!

We had a really early run of super-nice weather, so Dyl and I took a trip out to Heeman's, and spent about $60 for our annual plants and flowers. Usually I wouldn't plant them till closer to the end of May, and there were 4 nights when I had to haul them inside so the frost would not bite. Anyway, let's start on the downstairs deck:

NB: I forgot how to watermark, despite the fact that I did it like 3 days ago! Ugh. I just spent about half an hour trying to figure it out again, but I can't find the helpful web page I used before. :(  If anybody knows of a way to save a watermark, and easily click it onto each photo, using any app that runs on Chrome, PLEASE fill me in via the comments...I am LAZY, don't like to have to do each photo on its own. [Infomercial voice] There's *got* to be a better way! Let's be honest, though: NOBODY is stealing my plant pics. I can deal with that.

First up: SAGE!





This is what it looked like when I planted it. I've learned that even though things look sparse, if you overplant they will eventually explode and look disgusting.



And here it is today! Healthy and pretty (just like Rocky). It looks like it won't overspill the planter, unlike some of its compadres, which I will post below...








Secondly, my favourite herb planter!




My friend Valorie gave me this planter. I have no idea where to get one, so please stop asking. Valorie retired a couple of years ago, and she is a true gardening wizard (no, that doesn't mean she works at Garden Hogwarts, but I wish...)

Here it is today!! The basil on top seems healthy, despite a touch-and-go period when I made it stay outside on a frost warning evening. You can see that the cilantro, so tiny in the lower right-side well above, is making a play for planter-world dominance. It might have a pretty good chance, too, except that Dylan is a cilantro-phile, and is raiding it nightly.



Okay, I'm going to play around with some collage apps for the next few. Sorry for the inconsistency in design. Let's just say the blog is still in Beta, so I can get away with this. Someday I might find it embarrassing...

Valorie loves to order me fancy plants from the internet! Did I mention she's the best former-boss ever? This is a Lesbos Basil that she gave me 2 years ago. It stays out all summer, then comes onto the kitchen window sill for the winter. I can make new basils from it by cutting bits off and putting them in water til they sprout roots. I made a baby from it that is featured below.

This poor sucker got caught outside during a storm, and started growing sideways for some reason. Its will to live is extraordinary, I guess, cause those leaves are coming in bright and robust.

MMMmmmmm...I've been up here on the deck for almost 2 hours! Getting a little drunk off these white wine spritzers...



Basil and Cilantro are Friends!

On the left is the baby basil that I made from the original above. It actually seems to be in better health than its mom. Guess I neglected to get an early pic of these two crazy pals, but they are almost my favourite herbs on the deck, so they still get a pic!








I don't know what kind of flowers these are, but look how pretty they growed up! I like that they're all different colours, but also all pretty colours, no effing beige ones. Those are the worst.



















The next batch is various planters on the upstairs deck, where the sun shines hot allllll day! These are all decorative annuals, but effed if I know what any of them actually are:



These ones I always over-plant. They just look so sparse and lonely at first! BUT... they turn into...





















Whoa! Look how big they got!!!

I sure hope they don't gain sentience before the frost sets in!


















I've saved my two favourites for last.






These are peppers and tomatoes. Look how small and cute they are!




Not quite as small, but still pretty cute 48 days later!



Tons of flowers and fruit coming in, too...










This planter is my favourite. I always give it the nicest, sunniest spot, on the prettiest part of the deck, with the best view of the ravine. I put the healthiest specimens of tomatoes in it, and...









...it just grows and grows and grows...tons of tomatoes, lots of love to share.

This one is sucking up a ton of water each night, too, probably about a liter+ every day.


Well, that's my garden blog entry! What are you planting this year, and how is it growing so far? Let me know in the comments!

Thanks for reading!! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment